Wendover Airbase
Javascript is required to view this map.

VIEW LIST OF SITES

Called "Leftover Field" by Bob Hope when he visited in 1942, Wendover Airbase is now a large and largely unused former World War II airfield. Construction of the Wendover Airbase started in 1940, and by 1943 it was the largest military reserve in the world, in area. Around 20,000 military personnel were based in 668 buildings and trained on 3.5 million acres of the surrounding desert.

Wendover became the home of the training program for the first atomic bombing missions, later carried out on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The remains of the assembly and modification areas associated with this top-secret program can be seen in the distance a mile south of the flightline of the Wendover Airport. The former office for Colonel Tibbets, the commander of the atomic bomb squadron, is now a public storage building.

By the late 1950's, the base's use was in steep decline, and the Air Force officially transferred the base to the Town of Wendover in 1977. In 1999, the town surrendered the base to Tooele County, which owns and manages the airport and the remaining 100 buildings.